News by Henry Solomon from NTA.ng – Breaking News, Nigeria, Africa, Worldwide Read the complete details here
A Bill for an Act to amend Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Act to entrench parliamentary accountability and enhance the bank’s efficiency scaled second reading at the House of Representatives on Thursday.
The bill, which was sponsored by Rep. Binta Bello (Gombe-PDP) in conjunction with three other legislators, seeks to enhance transparency in the apex bank’s operations.
Leading the debate on the motion, Bello said the Act, when amended, would enable the bank to discharge its statutory duties more effectively.
She said that the bill sought to provide for the appointment of a person other than the Governor, as the Chairman of the bank’s Board.
The legislator said that there was a need to also divest the board of the powers of determining and fixing its own salaries and allowances.
She added that the bill, when made a law, would check the powers of the board in considering and approving the annual budget of the bank.
In his contribution, Rep. Simon Arabo (Kaduna-PDP) said transparency could not determine that the same person should chair the Board and the Management of the bank.
He said that a situation where an organisation determined salaries, wages, pension and allowances on its own without external approval was not acceptable.
In his ruling, the Speaker of the House, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, referred the bill to the Committee on Banking and Currency for further legislative action.
Here are the latest News stories from 15 Top Sources
- Senator accusing Police IG of fraud gets bail
- AfDB to invest $24 billion in agriculture in 10 years – Adesina
- How Nigeria can tackle corruption through transparency in property ownership – Experts
- Buhari was adequately briefed on poor state of State House Clinic – CMD
- Lagos court releases ex-VP Atiku’s son, Aminu, grants estranged wife custody of children
- NEMA workers in Minna begins indefinite strike
- China investigates 440 senior officials over corruption
- Buhari congratulates ex-Agric minister, Adesina, on world food prize
- [Updated] Spain to press ahead to suspend Catalan autonomy, calls cabinet meeting
- Monarch sues Osun CP for embarrassing him
Voice of Nigeria (VON)
- Bill on establishing University of Health sciences scales second reading
- Financial experts task CBN on expansionary, fiscal policies
- Ongoing vaccination to prevent Yellow Fever – Kwara Govt
- Solid Minerals has generated N199bn in 7 years – NEITI
- President Buhari on working visit to Turkey