News by Marylou from Nigerian Watch Newspaper Read the complete details here
A Human Rights Group has challenged Governor Alhaji Yahaya Bello of Kogi State to come out and tell the world how he spent the N10billion collected on behalf of Local Government from the Federal Government.
The Director of the Centre for Human Right and Conflict Resolution (CHCR), Idris Miliki, has made this known during an interview with DAILY POST on Thursday, accusing the governor of squandering the money he collected from the Federal Government in April this year.
Miliki who expressed dissatisfaction in the failure of the State Government towards the conduct of Local Government election noted that the current administration of local government in Kogi State was illegal, unconstitutional, null and void.
He said: “We have a government that has been in power for 20 months, yet they don’t have timetable to conduct Local Government election. The government is busy saying they don’t have money, but yet they collected N10billion on behalf of Local Government. What did they use the money for? Where are the Councillors to make bye laws for Local Government to generate revenues?
“Since they collected N10billion on behalf of Local Government, why can’t the current administration use part of the money to conduct Local Government election? Sincerely, there is something beyond the eyes that we don’t know which is going on in Kogi State.
” The State Assembly approved N450 million for State Independent Electoral Commission (SIEC), to conduct Local Government election in 2017. This same lawmakers extended illegally the tenure of Local Government Administrators. Money is coming and nobody is asking questions.
” We have an illegal ministry of Local Government that is busy sharing money all in the name of joint account. We have a government aide, that is never elected, but allocates money to other tiers of government. This is condemnable. What kind of government are we having in Kogi State, that are doing things outside the law?.Governor Bello must give account for all these misappropriation going on in his government. He cannot operate outside the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
Here are the latest News stories from 15 Top Sources
- Re: TRIMING Massive Recruitment into Various Offices
- Maryam Sanda, Woman Who Killed Husband in Abuja, To Remain in Suleja Prison
- You are wondering, How did Black Friday become Black Friday?
- Ember Months: FRSC Warns Against Night Journeys
- Nigeria Police Games 2018: Police command in Enugu screens athletes
- Buhari urges religious movements in Africa to help fight corruption
- Atiku Abubakar: Timeline of a serial defector
- Pius Anyim still in EFCC detention despite meeting bail conditions – Lawyer
- Zimbabwean army hands over finance minister to police
- Again, NDIC warns Nigerians against trading in digital currencies
- Fanfare as ADR society awards professional, business excellence
- 235 killed in deadliest terror attack in Egypt’s modern history
- Buhari condoles with Egypt over bomb attack
- Edo Govt kick-starts basic education reform, counts schools, retrains teachers
- 500,000 persons still displaced in Benue due to Fulani herdsmen attack ―Group