News by Africanews RSS from Africanews RSS Read the complete details here
Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita replaced his prime minister late on Saturday, naming the defense minister to head the government of the West African nation, which is struggling to end unrest in its restive desert north.
Abdoulaye Idrissa Maiga, a close ally of President Keita who had held the defense portfolio since September, replaced Modibo Keita, according to a decree read on state television. The prime minister had tendered his resignation on Friday, it said.
Islamist fighters, some of them with links to al Qaeda, seized northern Mali in 2012 before being driven out of major cities and towns by a French-led military intervention a year later.
France maintains an anti-militant force in West Africa’s vast, arid Sahel region, and the United Nations has deployed a peacekeeping mission in Mali.
However, northern Mali remains the theater of clashes between rival tribal militias, and Islamist groups continue to launch attacks on civilians, Malian soldiers, U.N. peacekeepers and French forces there.
A group headed by jihadist leader Iyad Ag Ghali this week claimed an attack that killed a French soldier near Mali’s border with neighboring Burkina Faso on Wednesday.
Here are the latest News stories from 15 Top Sources
- Angola president fires top security chiefs appointed by dos Santos
- Mugabe source of Zimbabwe’s headaches, ZANU-PF plots impeachment
- KENYA SUPREME COURT UPHOLDS PRESIDENT UHURU KENYATTA’S OCTOBER ELECTION WIN
- Demonstrations continue in Togo [no comment]
- Nigerian economy grows 1.4 pct in Q3- Statistics Office
- Investors bet against a happy holidays for retailers
- Deluxe Residences entices home buyers, investors with The Orchard in Lagos
- ‘Smart cities need smart solutions for critical communications and security’- ETELM
- US to assist FG with $1.3m gas project, repatriate stolen assets
- North Korea to be declared terrorists nation
- Tambuwal: For us in Sokoto, Ekwueme’s Death Comes with Extra Pain
- Russia 2018 World Cup: England Legend And Russian Sports Journalist to Conduct Final Draw
- PTAD Begins Verification of Pensioners of Two Defunct Government Outfits
- Education Minister Lays Foundation for 500-Capacity JAMB Test Centre
- President Buhari Calls For Effective Synergy Between Executive and Judiciary
- JUST IN: Nigerian Army promotes 136 officers to generals (SEE LIST)
- Nigeria to establish control programme to tackle Noma disease
- Last held in 2011, Nigeria to conduct assessment of its basic schools
- U.S. to contribute $45.5 million to rehabilitation efforts in North-east
- #BAAD2017: Banky W, Adesua Etomi wed in Court
- Anambra Poll: Replicate Your Successes in Rivers, Wike Urges INEC, Police
- Okorocha Congratulates Obiano, blames APC for Internal Wrangling
- AFREXIM Bank Introduces Factoring Trade Financing Initiative In Africa
- World Television Day: Obaseki salutes inventors, counts impact on knowledge industry
- Robbery: Police Declare Burna Boy Wanted
- Super Eagles: The road to Russia
- Nigeria floats US$3bn dual-tranche bond
- We’re celebrating Ironsi, Fajuyi to open new vista in Igbo-Yoruba relationship —Afenifere, Ohanaeze Ndigbo
- Ekwueme: Buhari, Shagari, OBJ, Jonathan, IBB, others pay glowing tributes
- ‘No exams until Mugabe resigns’: Zimbabwe students in mass boycott