News by Adekunle Jimoh, Ilorin from The Nation Nigeria Read the complete details here
Parents in Omu-Aran and Ilofa, in Irepodun and Oke-Ero local government areas of Kwara State yesterday withdrew their children from schools following rumours of deadly vaccination.
The parents besieged the schools as early as 9 am, as rumours spread that vaccination teams, accompanied by soldiers, were in town.
It was gathered that some schools locked their gates to stop the parents from entering, while others were forced to engage security personnel when the situation degenerated into confrontation.
However, most of the schools succumbed to pressure by releasing the children.
But the government denied the rumours.
A statement by Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed’s Special Adviser on Security, Alhai Amusa Bello, urged the people to ignore the rumour, as the Army was not undertaking vaccination or any other health campaign in the state.
He urged parents not to panic and to refrain from withdrawing their wards from schools based on this ‘unfounded rumour’.
Here are the latest News stories from 15 Top Sources
- Angola president fires top security chiefs appointed by dos Santos
- Mugabe source of Zimbabwe’s headaches, ZANU-PF plots impeachment
- KENYA SUPREME COURT UPHOLDS PRESIDENT UHURU KENYATTA’S OCTOBER ELECTION WIN
- Demonstrations continue in Togo [no comment]
- Nigerian economy grows 1.4 pct in Q3- Statistics Office
- Investors bet against a happy holidays for retailers
- Deluxe Residences entices home buyers, investors with The Orchard in Lagos
- ‘Smart cities need smart solutions for critical communications and security’- ETELM
- US to assist FG with $1.3m gas project, repatriate stolen assets
- North Korea to be declared terrorists nation
- Tambuwal: For us in Sokoto, Ekwueme’s Death Comes with Extra Pain
- Russia 2018 World Cup: England Legend And Russian Sports Journalist to Conduct Final Draw
- PTAD Begins Verification of Pensioners of Two Defunct Government Outfits
- Education Minister Lays Foundation for 500-Capacity JAMB Test Centre
- President Buhari Calls For Effective Synergy Between Executive and Judiciary
- JUST IN: Nigerian Army promotes 136 officers to generals (SEE LIST)
- Nigeria to establish control programme to tackle Noma disease
- Last held in 2011, Nigeria to conduct assessment of its basic schools
- U.S. to contribute $45.5 million to rehabilitation efforts in North-east
- #BAAD2017: Banky W, Adesua Etomi wed in Court
- Super Eagles: The road to Russia
- Nigeria floats US$3bn dual-tranche bond
- We’re celebrating Ironsi, Fajuyi to open new vista in Igbo-Yoruba relationship —Afenifere, Ohanaeze Ndigbo
- Ekwueme: Buhari, Shagari, OBJ, Jonathan, IBB, others pay glowing tributes
- ‘No exams until Mugabe resigns’: Zimbabwe students in mass boycott