News by Kola Olutayo from Ogun State Television Read the complete details here
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Thursday clarified that what he approved for the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation when President Muhammadu Buhari was away on medical vacation were financing loans and not contracts.
According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, the Vice-President made the clarification while answering reporters’ questions after the ground-breaking of the multi-billion naira Bonny-Bodo Road project, in Bonny, Rivers State.
Akande quoted Osinbajo as explaining that the approvals he granted to the NNPC while he was Acting President were for financing arrangements for the Joint Ventures between the corporation and IOCs, and not approvals for contracts.
“These were financing loans. Of course, you know what the Joint Ventures are, with the lOCs, like Chevron, that had to procure.
“In some cases, NNPC and their Joint Venture partners have to secure loans and they need authorisation to secure those loans while the President was away.
“The law actually provides for those authorisations. So I did grant two of them and those were presidential approvals, but they are specifically for financing joint ventures and they are loans not contracts,” Akande quoted the Vice-President as saying.
Here are the latest News stories from 15 Top Sources
- Senator accusing Police IG of fraud gets bail
- AfDB to invest $24 billion in agriculture in 10 years – Adesina
- How Nigeria can tackle corruption through transparency in property ownership – Experts
- Buhari was adequately briefed on poor state of State House Clinic – CMD
- Lagos court releases ex-VP Atiku’s son, Aminu, grants estranged wife custody of children
- NEMA workers in Minna begins indefinite strike
- China investigates 440 senior officials over corruption
- Buhari congratulates ex-Agric minister, Adesina, on world food prize
- [Updated] Spain to press ahead to suspend Catalan autonomy, calls cabinet meeting
- Monarch sues Osun CP for embarrassing him
Voice of Nigeria (VON)
- Bill on establishing University of Health sciences scales second reading
- Financial experts task CBN on expansionary, fiscal policies
- Ongoing vaccination to prevent Yellow Fever – Kwara Govt
- Solid Minerals has generated N199bn in 7 years – NEITI
- President Buhari on working visit to Turkey