News by Guardian Nigeria from The Guardian Nigeria Newspaper – Nigeria and World News Read the complete details here
Maria Sharapova surged into the Tianjin Open quarter-finals on Thursday as she pursues her first tournament victory since her return from a doping ban.
The Russian former world number one defeated Magda Linette of Poland 7-5, 6-3 and will next play either Swiss qualifier Stefanie Voegele or fifth seed Yulia Putintseva of Kazakhstan.
The 30-year-old Sharapova has been on the comeback trail since April after serving a 15-month suspension for taking the banned substance meldonium.
Sharapova, a five-time major-winner, is now ranked a lowly 86 in the world and she needed a wildcard to enter the Tianjin tournament.
She saw off 71st-ranked Linette in just over 98 minutes to reach only her second quarter-final since her return to action.
Here are the latest News stories from 15 Top Sources
- Senator accusing Police IG of fraud gets bail
- AfDB to invest $24 billion in agriculture in 10 years – Adesina
- How Nigeria can tackle corruption through transparency in property ownership – Experts
- Buhari was adequately briefed on poor state of State House Clinic – CMD
- Lagos court releases ex-VP Atiku’s son, Aminu, grants estranged wife custody of children
- NEMA workers in Minna begins indefinite strike
- China investigates 440 senior officials over corruption
- Buhari congratulates ex-Agric minister, Adesina, on world food prize
- [Updated] Spain to press ahead to suspend Catalan autonomy, calls cabinet meeting
- Monarch sues Osun CP for embarrassing him